Smartphone users frequently store their precious photos and videos on their devices for easy sharing with friends and family. However, as storage space becomes limited, users often have to delete data to make room for new content. Unfortunately, there are times when photos and videos are unintentionally removed from the Android gallery. The good news is that in such situations, there is an opportunity to recover these deleted items, but it must be done within a specific time frame. You should also read about How to move photos and videos from iPhone to Google Photos.
The Android smartphones’ Gallery app includes a designated folder for recently deleted photos and videos. This folder temporarily stores deleted items for a period of 30 days, after which they are permanently deleted and cannot be restored to your device. To help you recover your photos and videos before they are permanently deleted from the Recently Deleted folder in your Gallery app, we have prepared a step-by-step guide.
Recovering Deleted Photos from Android Gallery
- Launch the Gallery app on your Android device.
- Scroll down to access the “Recently deleted items” tab.
- Choose the images you wish to recover.
- Tap the “Restore” button to restore the selected photos.
Recovering Deleted Photos from Google Photos
If you utilize the Google Photos app for cloud storage of your photos and videos, you can also recover deleted items on your smartphone. Google Photos retains recently deleted photos and videos in the Trash folder for 60 days before permanently deleting them. You can also check the guide to retrieving photos from your Google Photos locked folder on iOS and Web.
Here’s how to restore deleted photos on Android using the Google Photos app:
- Open the Google Photos app on your Android smartphone.
- Navigate to the “Library” tab.
- Tap on the “Trash” or “Bin” option.
- Select the deleted items you wish to restore to your device.
- At the bottom of the screen, tap the “Restore” button to initiate the recovery process.
Recovering deleted photos and videos on an Android device can be possible, but success depends on several factors, including how long ago the files were deleted and whether the storage space has been overwritten with new data.
Here are some steps you can take to attempt photo and video recovery:
- Stop Using the Device: As soon as you realize that you’ve deleted photos or videos accidentally, stop using the device to prevent overwriting the deleted data with new data. Continued use of the device can make recovery more challenging.
- Check the Recently Deleted Folder: Some Android devices have a “Recently Deleted” or “Trash” folder in their gallery apps. Check this folder first, as deleted photos and videos might be there for a limited time before being permanently removed.
- Use a Photo Recovery App: There are several third-party apps available on the Google Play Store that can help you recover deleted photos and videos. These apps typically scan your device’s storage for recoverable files. Popular options include:
- PhotoRec (requires root access)
- Connect to a Computer: You can also connect your Android device to a computer and use recovery software like Dr.Fone for Android, iMobie PhoneRescue, or EaseUS MobiSaver for Android to recover deleted photos and videos. These programs often provide more comprehensive recovery options.
- Check Cloud Backups: If you have enabled automatic photo and video backup through services like Google Photos or Dropbox, check those accounts to see if your deleted files are available there.
- Check SD Card: If your Android device has an external SD card and you stored photos and videos on it, you can remove the card and use a computer with a card reader and data recovery software to attempt recovery. Be sure to stop using the SD card until recovery attempts are completed.
- Root Your Device (Advanced): In some cases, you may need to root your Android device to access deleted files at a deeper level. Rooting allows you to recover files that are otherwise inaccessible due to system restrictions. However, this process is advanced and can void your warranty, so proceed with caution.
- Consult a Professional: If the above methods fail, or if you’re not comfortable with the technical aspects of data recovery, consider seeking professional help from data recovery specialists or a mobile phone repair shop.
Remember that the success of photo and video recovery depends on various factors, including how long ago the files were deleted and whether the storage space has been overwritten. The sooner you try to recover the deleted data, the higher the chances of success. Additionally, regularly backing up your Android device can help prevent data loss in the future.
You might also like our TUTEZONE section which contains exclusive tutorials on how you can make your life simpler using technology.