Saving text messages from your iPhone to your computer can be useful for creating backups or archiving important conversations. There are so many ways you can save text messages from iPhone to computer like using iTunes, iCloud, or third-party apps. You can also read how to transfer pictures from Your iPhone to an External Drive.
How to save text messages on your iPhone to your computer:
Method 1: Using iTunes (macOS and Windows)
- First Install iTunes: The latest version of iTunes installed should be installed on your computer. You can download it from the Apple website if you don’t have it already.
- Connect your iPhone: To connect your iPhone to your computer use a USB cable. If prompted on your iPhone, choose “Trust This Computer.”
- Launch iTunes: Open iTunes on your computer. On the top left corner of the iTunes window, your iPhone should appear.
- Back up your iPhone: Click on the iPhone icon in iTunes. Under the “Backups” section, choose “This Computer” and click “Back Up Now.” This will create a backup of your iPhone, including your text messages.
- Locate the backup: The backup files are stored on your computer’s hard drive. The backup will be saved at a location based on your operating system:
- On macOS: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/
- On Windows: C:\Users[username]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
- Extract the text messages: To extract the text messages from the backup, you’ll need third-party software that can read iTunes backups. Some popular options include iExplorer, iMazing, or iPhone Backup Extractor. Install one of these applications on your computer, open it, and choose the specific backup you want to extract the text messages. Then, navigate to the “Messages” section and export the messages to your desired location on your computer.
Method 2: Using iCloud (macOS and Windows)
- Back up your iPhone to iCloud: On your iPhone, go to “Settings” > [your name] > “iCloud” > “iCloud Backup.” Make sure iCloud Backup is turned on and tap “Back Up Now.” A backup of your iPhone will be created along with text messages in your iCloud account.
- Access iCloud on your computer: Open a web browser and go to the iCloud website (www.icloud.com). Enter your Apple ID and password to sign in.
- Download the iCloud backup: Click on “Text Messages” from the list of available apps. You should be able to see your text messages on the website. Select the messages you want to save, then click on the settings icon (a gear) and choose “Export vCard.” This will download the selected messages as a .vcf file to your computer.
Method 3: Using Third-party Apps (macOS and Windows)
There are various third-party applications designed to help you back up and manage your iPhone data. One popular choice is AnyTrans, which allows you to transfer and save messages from your iPhone to your computer. You also have the option to choose the Ideal Backup Solution for Your iPhone
- Download and Install AnyTrans: Download and install AnyTrans on your computer from the official website of the application.
- Connect your iPhone: Launch AnyTrans and connect your iPhone to your computer using a USB cable.
- Back-up messages: Once your iPhone is detected, click on the “Device Manager” option. From there, choose “Messages” and select the conversations you want to save. Click the “To PC” button to back up the selected messages to your computer.
By following these methods, you should be able to save your iPhone text messages to your computer easily. Remember to regularly back up your messages to avoid losing any valuable information.
You might also like our TUTEZONE section which contains exclusive tutorials on how you can make your life simpler using technology.