Voter ID card is perhaps among the most important documents in India. You might have the black and white laminated paper kind of voter ID card. Now the Government of India has started issuing color Voter ID. A voter card also called Electoral Photo ID Card (EPIC), is not just for casting votes in an election but it is also an identity and address proof.
The new color Voter ID card is being issued to new voters as well as existing Voters in case they have requested correction. In fact, those Voters who are simply looking to get a new color Voter ID can also apply and get it. In India it is issued by Election Commission of India and it is also known as Electoral Photo ID card (EPIC). Citizens above the age of 18 have the voting rights.
The Voter Portal provides the option to order for color Voter ID. You can also apply for New Voter Registration, Correction in Voter ID, Shifted to Other Place, Replacement of Voter ID and Deletion of Voter ID. Here are the step by step guide on how to get color voter id card online or offline
The documents required to apply for color Voter ID
- Address proof
- Your Photograph
- Age proof (for age between 18 to 21)
How to get colour Voter ID card online
- Open NVSP (National Voter’s Service Portal) website at nvsp.in.
- On the homepage click on Voter Portal box. You will be redirected to https://voterportal.eci.gov.in portal.
- On the redirected page, Click on Create an new account link and follow the instructions to register yourself.
- You will have the sign Up option on the portal with your Mobile Number, Google account, Facebook account, Twitter and Linkedin account
- After successful login you will get multiple options. Click on the Replacement of Voter ID to get color Voter ID.
- A new web page will open and ask if you have a Voter ID number or not. Click on Yes and enter your Voter ID number in the given box and click on Fetch details.
- Once your record is found, you will see a Proceed button. Click on it to see your details.
- Now, click on Continue for Replacement of Voter ID and click Continue again.
- You will have to verify your mobile number, to verify click on Send OTP. Enter OTP in the given box and click on Verify.
- Now you will have to enter your “Reason for Replacement of Voter ID” and click on Save and Continue below.
- Once Saved You will get three options to collect your Voter ID
- I will collect Voter ID from VRC/CSC
- I wish to receive my Voter ID by Post
- I will collect Voter ID from BLO.
- Choose your preferred medium and click Save & Continue.
- You will get a Congratulations message after successful submission.
After successful verification of your details and documents the authority will issue the Colour Voter ID card. You can also track the status of your application at the NVSP portal by using a reference ID/acknowledgement ID sent to your registered contact.
How to get Color Voter ID offline
You have the option to get the colored voter card offline as well. You just need to visit the nearest e-Seva office or MEE Seva office in your area with all the necessary documents and photos. Fill in all the details in Form 6 and submit it for a new voter card. You will get the color card after your documents are processed.
Democracy is government of the people, by the people and for the people. In simple terms, in democracy people are made centre and government derives its legitimacy only from the people.
You might also like our TUTEZONE section which contains exclusive tutorials on how you can make your life simpler using technology.